What are the top wine regions in the world?

Did you know that 80% of all the wine in the world comes from only 10 regions? Over the years, more countries have began producing wines too but majority of wine comes from 10 major regions. All the other up and coming wine producing countries make up for the remaining 20%.

Here are some of the top wine producing regions

There are three major regions that dominate the wine industry in the world. These regions include Italy, France, and Spain. Combined, the three regions produce half of all the wine in the world. In fact, if all the wine produced in the said three countries were to be brought together, it would fill more than 5,000 Olympics swimming pools yearly!

France

Although France has been reducing its wine production yearly since 2007, it has been the leading wine producer in the world for a long time. The country has lowered its production of wine by about 11%.

Some of the major grapes grown in France include Gamay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Trebbiano Toscano, and Cabernet Franc among others.

Italy

Italy takes the second position as the world’s leading producer of wine after France. Like in France, however, Italy has also been reducing its wine production through a reduction in the number of vineyards. Since 2007, Italy has lowered its production of wine by around 7%.

Some of the grapes grown in the existing vineyards include Merlot, Pinot Grigio, Sangiovese, Prosecco, Trebbiano Toscano, Montepulciano, and Nero d’Avola among others.

Spain

Did you know that Spain has the largest vineyards in the world? If you are like me, you are probably wondering why it is not the leading producer of wine. It turns out that although the region has large vineyards, it does not have high yields of wine.

Some of the grapes growing in the large vineyards of Spain include Bobal, Airen, Tempranillo, Monastrell, and Garnacha.

United States of America

The largest wine producing region in the United States is California. In fact, California produces about 90% of all the wine produced in America. California is also the home to one of the largest wine producers in the world, Gallo, who comes from the region of Modesto.

The main grapes grown in California include Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Chardonnay.

Germany

Famously known for the production of white exquisite aromatic wines, Germany is also one of the best producers of wine. Most of the wines from Germany are exported to United Kingdom and United States.

The grapes mainly grown in Germany include Riesling and Muller- Thurgau.

South Africa

Apart from being the country that produces the largest volumes of Brandy globally, South Africa is also known for its production of the Chenin Blanc wine.

Major grapes grown in South Africa include Pinotage, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, and Cabernet Sauvignon.